Labels

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Orienting Myself in Bandung (Sept. 7th - Sept. 22nd)

Well, first be warned that I'm writing this post two weeks after my orientation in Bandung actually ended... But at this point I believe I can claim that it's kinda my style. But anywhoo, on to the story.

Since the 35 ETAs who arrived in Indonesia with me came with varying levels of knowledge regarding Indonesia, its culture, its people, and its language (besides those few go-getters who took classes or studied on their own before arriving), I believe it made perfect sense that we would all be gathered together to participate in a two-week orientation all about Indonesia, and especially, the Indonesian language. 

So, off to Jakarta we all flew, to meet up in the wonderful Jakarta airport and take a 2 hour bus ride (5 hours with traffic) to the lovely city of Bandung. Bandung has been described as the "Paris of Indonesia," due to its sense of style, nightlife, and something else that I don't actually remember... Sorry... I should have been listening more intently.

When we arrived in Bandung, we pulled up to what was clearly the largest hotel in the city, the Hotel Trans. Far what what you would imagine if you think of the Hotel Transylvania, the Hotel Trans was stunning with its giant reception area/lounge, where we were greeted by a traditional Sundanese dance group.  For real. Apparently we're kinda a big deal, and thereby got a sa-weet performance as our entrance into this "must be a 7-star it's so awesome" hotel. They performed 2 dances for us, the first of which was more musical based, and the second of which I forgot the storyline... But apparently it was a great story.

**Thanks to Kelsey for the photos!

So the dancing was pretty darn neat, but the music was ever better in my opinion. I always enjoy good music, and the Sundanese band was spot on! I'll have to make a point of looking up more music during my stay...


So this is a mini-compilation of the hotel lobby, in an attempt to show you just a bit of the extravagance of this immense hotel.  The flowers in the person-sized pot were always REAL, and I found the stairway to be just a bit on the "flashy" side. (Congrats to Emily, "Sekutuku dalam Kejahatan," (my partner in crime) for the photo shoutout!) So if that's not enough lavish lifestyle, the hotel has a giant glass-light dragon! Whose head unfortunately blew out during a power outing...

On the roof was an outdoor eating area that looked out over the city. It was an impressive view, and we had the good fortune to have multiple lunches and breakfasts up there, as well as the opportunity to hang out ther in the evenings.  Perhaps the best part of the roof-top lounge was the glass-floored platform, where we had multiple dance parties and moments of looking down at the street in awe.


**Thanks to Emily for the photos!

While no one can match Marci and I's mirror-ball winning dance performance (that dad and Mrs. Makin nearly stole in a questionable judging...), I can definitely say that Elizabeth and I's moves on the glass-floored skywalk were certainly impressive! Oh, and the interpretive dance was also pretty memorable...!

Anyway, Let's just say the hotel was pretty swanky. I had my own room on the 14th floor (there was no 13th floor... I still don't understand that custom...), replete with bathrobe, slippers, comfy as heck pillows, laundry service, giant bathtub, and hot water!!! IT WAS UNREAL. A far cry from the Penny Sleeper Inn in California! (Amy knows what I'm talking about!)

So I spent two weeks in a room unlike any I plan to inhabit in the foreseeable future, (which is honestly fine by me since I couldn't handle being waited on hand and foot...) and was/am grateful for the experience, if for no other reason than realizing that that sort of lifestyle is not for me :)  But I would be lying if I didn't say that I looked forward every morning to the fresh fruit, and every evening to the Indonesian dessert placed in my room :)


Notice the Hotel Trans in all its glory, with the Indonesian Flag flying out front as an Angkot (public transport in Bandung) drives by.

And so we spent the two weeks in orientation, studying Bahasa Indonesian and learning about the country. I can fill you in more sometime, but let's just say it was really nice. Having breakfast and lunch made for you everyday was awesome, and I definitely gained quite a few pounds in two weeks... Standouts in the food and drink arena definitely go to nasi goreng seafood (fried rice with seafood) and bajigur (traditional coconut drink that was the best thing ever!!).

I shall conclude with a picture of the classroom I spent so much of my time in. Note the AMAZING flowers in the bowl. They were brand new and fresh everyday! Also, notice the water bottles, of which I drank approximately 10 a day, and I would have to safeguard from the hotel workers who would always try to take my half-full bottle and replace it with a new one when I would turn my back! I had to fight pretty hard to not waste a bottle. I fended off one worker when he tried to take my half-full bottle, but when I turned my back, he snuck around, nabbed it, and replaced it with a brand new bottle! The staff certainly was diligent in guaranteeing that our stay was as comfortable as possible!!


I will close with a photo of my wonderful Bahasa Indonesia class. These people had my morning and afternoon everyday. Laughter and learning went hand in hand with these awesome pupils, and our fearless instructor, Totok!


I think that's enough for now. I'll post about the volcano trip we took while in Bandung in another post. But this at least covers the orientation bit of Bandung!

"You cannot help but learn more as you take the world into your hands. Take it up reverently, for it is an old piece of clay, with millions of thumbprints on it." -John Updike

Talk to you soon,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment